Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Web Resources For the Classroom

This week I found myself bookmarking almost every single site that I happened upon, just because I was amazed at what online activities have to offer now.  I love sites that that have for science. I think that because a lot of them bring the student to places that I would never realistically be able to bring them too is an amazing advantage that I can offer them.  I wish in future that where ever I am hired that they offer anatomy and physiology to the students as a course, because that is definitely a strong passion for me to be able to share with others.  However, one of the bigger issues when trying to teach the real life application of this subject is actually giving students the "field" background for the understanding.  Sure, we animal dissected organs while I was taking this in school, but if something is already deceased and then the organ is taken out of the animal, then how can you possible teach how closely everything is connected?? The fact that you can watch live operating room videos at http://www.orlive.com/ gives me and my class a huge advantage in making real world connections.  Obviously I would have to use this with a dose of caution for those students that are squeamish, but this is an experience that students may never get if this was not available, and I hope it can bring the organs we use in class to "life" for the students. At our fingertips we can see how knee surgeries are performed, how doctors physically adjust eyeballs to help their patients with their vision, and plenty of more exciting surgeries that will allow us to see why we need to know the basic anatomy to begin with and what types of amazing things people can accomplish once they are experts at their work.

Secondly, because I plan on using a class Wiki for my students to allow them autonomy in their learning, I want to post for them to look and review proper use of the Internet before I send them out into the wide web.  I know that they probably have used computers their entire lives, but in today's society there are many ways that you have to keep yourself safe and proper ways to act to ensure everyone has an enjoyable experience.  I am planning on posting netiquette the class Wiki.  I think that I will have them review this before they are allowed to do anything on the page.  To verify they have read the information and proper safety and usage techniques they will have to post at least 5 things they learned, or thought was important to know and keep in mind from the site.  

I am excited to keep on investigating other sites that I can bring into the classroom to give my students opportunities to expand their horizons.  I will take students outside of the constraints of the walls that surround them and put them into the practical settings in which their education will be used.


References:

OR live (2010) Retrieved from http://www.orlive.com/

Shea, V. (2004) NET Etiquette. Retrieved from http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/index.html


Wikispace (2010) Retrieved from www.wikispaces.com 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you found many valuable and useful sites this past week!! That OR web site is definitely a great way to bring the operating room to your classroom!! There were a few issues with your references and I do not see citations in the body of your post. For web site references, the first component should be the author name, or in the case of most web sites - it is typically an organization name. So OR Live may be the name of the site, but it is not the name of the organization in charge of the site. Your references should look like the following:

    Author/Organization name. (year of publication). Title of web page. Retrieved from http://www....

    ReplyDelete