Tuesday, June 28, 2011

T2P Week 5 Reflection

When we look at the human brain and the connections between neurons that grow and atrophy through time. We can get a better example of how students may  be learning at during these developments, but also see why it is that certain behaviors and actions seem to present themselves.  If there are physiological changes occurring in the brain all throughout our lives, then learning and observed action patterns can either be enhanced or dissipate as we grow older, because the brain is always adapting and changing to its newest and most frequent stimuli, i.e. making or breaking connections.

It is the case of adolescence, around the age of puberty and into young adulthood, that is most frequently used for examples.  The prefrontal cortex, which helps us with self control and planning, is not fully developed in adolescents and therefore leads them to take different risks or act in ways that may not seem rational to adults around them.  There are certain stages that all people go through in their development.  In Erikson's theory he shows us that there are certain stages that build onto one another in developing a healthy psycho-social norm.  I think it is noteworthy for teachers, or any adult in a teenager's life, to understand and genuinely make and effort to empathize with what the teens are going through in these stages, because we want them to be confident (so we encourage), and know that they do belong (so that they may become participating members of society).

Still in being the "teacher as a guide," as many theorists Piaget, Vygotsky, etc, suggest, what I want from my students, is to develop in a successful manner.  What do I mean by success?  Well success is purely subjective, and I do not mean it in a sense that they will be ready for college, the army, or the workforce.  I want them to successfully develop into their own persona.  I want them to be able to listen to their bodies and go ahead and push their boundaries (after all what kind of growth can happen if we are not willing to expand our horizons), but at the same time not let them push the walls totally out.  I will encourage students to keep on going and not get bogged down in any speed bumps they may come across.  Also, I want to make sure that I am extrinsically motivating my students constantly so that they become intrinsically motivated and hopefully become addicted to feelings of joy and other positive outlooks on life.  I think that positivity is a great quality for people to posses and I my amateur observations have led me to believe that it is the people that are outgoing and positive not only have more "doors" open up to them, but also are more likely to at least give these opportunities a try.

1 comment:

  1. Effie,

    First off, thank you for your active and knowledgeable participation during our week 5 convo on neurophysiology. You were brilliant!

    And second (and last) I believe your understanding of the adolescent brain, mind, along with your positive, hopeful attitude provide an excellent foundation for a new teacher. Much respect.

    GNA

    ReplyDelete